Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Blog #2 Work Readiness Skills

     Though several of the Work Readiness Skills have already been put to use, the most pertinent ones for my success include professionalism, dedication, and computer literacy. Professionalism generally encompasses demonstrating promptness, avoiding absenteeism, and maintaining appropriate grooming and hygiene. I have achieved all of these requirements by showing up 15 minutes early each day, properly dressed (well, actually more formal than most), clean-shaven, and eager to work. Essentially this provides me with sufficient time to adequately cover all of my work for the day. However, in my internship at Diamond Certified- American Ratings Corporation, I have learned that computer literacy is the most imperative skill of all, bar none. Throughout the first two weeks, each and every one of my tasks has required Excel and FileMaker, both of which were vague to begin with. To be entirely honest, the first couple days I found myself staring at the computer with a look of utter blankness. But as I familiarized myself with the process and learned shortcuts on YouTube during my lunch break, I improved my computer literacy thereby increasing my efficacy. Now I am doing Facebook analytics for the company, crunching data and creating simple, aesthetic, and reliable graphs to present the information to my supervisor. My dedication and willingness to work even during my lunch breaks allowed me to improve in my areas of weakness. After utilizing these skills in just the first two weeks, I cannot wait to see what the rest of the invaluable internship experience has in store.

5 comments:

  1. I find it interesting how, while as both of our internships are extremely different (An organization based on the Arts and a Ratings Corporation), both of us have recognized the importance of Professionalism, and how Computer Skills have proven to be a necessity. I also see how diligence truly is reflected in your work, especially with how fast you were able to improve thanks to your extra time put in. I also ended up needing the help of certain online resources in my own computer troubles, but its great we both recognized how seeking help when necessary is important rather than struggling. Good luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that we both have problems with the software that our companies use to function. I like how you explained, in detail, on how you used each skill. I also like how dedicated you are to your work and that is evident by the way you used your lunch breaks as a time for improving your knowledge in an area you aren't great at. Also we both had professionalism as a strong suit and we also had a few other similarities, but, again, I like how your explanations on how you utilized them and plan on improving them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching on arriving 15 minutes early was really nice to hear in your post. I've heard the phrase, "if you're 10 minutes early, you are only 5 minutes late," from a theatre point of view, but in fact it also seems to be very prevalent with work. It shows you care about the job you are at, and that's extremely appealing to potential employers (or so I've heard!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you used your lunch break to work on improving your skills to achieve more in your internship. You are really dedicated to your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you know exactly what you need to be good in your job. If you follow these skills you will do well in your work and be very successful

    ReplyDelete