Monday, July 27, 2015

Blog #5

I am grateful for the new skills and experience I gained this summer both in class, and in my internship. In class we covered a lot of things that were new to me. I thought that learning about resumes, cover letters, job applications, and letters of recommendation were among the most useful. Having our resumes looked at by other students, and having the opportunity to critique others gave me skills I can use in the future on my own resume when there is no one to proof read it. The first time I ever even saw a cover letter was in this class, so it was a huge benefit to learn how to write one. Also, I had never applied for a job before this class, so applying for the A&W position gave me a taste of something I will definitely have to do in the future. Knowing how and when to ask for a letter of recommendation was something I hadn't even thought about. It makes sense if you're working for someone, they will be the best resource to recommend and vouch for your strengths. I was also very interested in the results of my financial plan. It took a lot of time just to figure out the expenses, and it was interesting to learn about how much it will take in the future for the lifestyle I am planning. The most important thing I learned from my internship was how to talk to customers. This skill can take me far in any career, and something I got a lot of practice at working in a bookstore. I'm grateful that I got to witness and learn about running a small business and gained new allies on the way. I surely would not have been as prepared as I am now if not for this class and internship.

Reflecting on my discoveries showed me that how I see myself may be very different than how other people view me. I saw that many of the results did not match how I thought my results would turn out. It was interesting to learn how my view and the test results correspond.

I learned how to use Blogger and Google Sites. These are both useful (technical)tools for future use. In my internship, I learned how important it is to be both dedicated and diligent in any line of work. "Practice makes perfect" and if one is willing to put in the hard work and sometimes long hours, they can succeed in any career.

3 comments:

  1. I think that what you wrote is extremely detailed and it seemed like you learned a lot from this class and that will help you do better in the future. It seems like you planned out your financials and that was what was interesting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you did a really good reflection. I agree with you that learning about cover letters and resumes was very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a thoughtful reflection, and I agree with your comment about the usefulness about this class as well.

    ReplyDelete