Friday, July 3, 2015

Blog Post #2

I work in the Member Services Department of the Marin YMCA. Specifically, I have the role of a "greeter". As a greeter, I am required to acknowledge each and every member who enters the building. In addition to this, I share the responsibility of keeping the counter operation running efficiently and effectively. Personally, I believe a crucial trait necessary for myself and others working in the member services department to have is the ability to address each member with an upbeat and engaging attitude. This directly correlates to the work readiness skills of being tolerant and respectful. It is vital that members feel that they can speak with the staff about anything, whether its an issue in their personal lives or something they are experiencing in the YMCA itself. An essential approach that those working in member services take in order for members to feel this way is to treat each member politely and nicely. With the majority of members being older men and women, it is very important to understand that many of them require extra attention and assistance. For instance, an older man who regularly visits the YMCA and who I recognized immediately, happen to forget to swipe his membership card and began to walk away. I quickly reminded him and he happily checked in with no issues. This interaction led to the man and myself striking up a conversation about a book he had written. After about a five minute talk with this man we bid our farewells and he left to go workout. This simple interaction goes to show how a tolerant and polite personality can lead to great things. In addition to the ability to be tolerant and respectful, another fundamental work readiness skill that is key in the area in which I work, is the ability to serve the needs of others. The member services department serves as the central database for the YMCA. Given this, members are constantly coming to the counter and speaking with the staff about a wide variety of topics. Whether it be changing the payment method of their membership, or asking for details regarding the kids camp, or even just asking for a racquet and ball, the staff, with myself included, are required to provide our full attention and be able to give assistance to anyone who needs it. An example of how the ability to serve the needs of others is an extremely important trait for me to have is when another older man who cannot physically walk comes in to swim nearly everyday. He is unable to enter the pool through the regular entrance and because of this I need to walk around the pool and open the "employee only" door for him. This combined with countless of other questions and tasks required of me, makes my ability to serve the needs of others essential in the workplace. 
Like I said before, the Member Services Department acts as a database for the YMCA. With this is mind, one's ability to communicate effectively plays a key role in the distribution of information between different staff members as well as making sure the creation of each membership, each guest pass used, and each locker rented is all documented. There is a lot that goes into being a staff member in the Member Services Department. Knowing the answer to each question that may be asked is not an easy task. Because of this, I have been working hard to learn all the schedules, locations of equipment, as well as prices for everything offered at the YMCA. 

3 comments:

  1. I like how you can communicate well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that communication is easy for you. Keep making the best out of your internship!

    ReplyDelete