Thursday, July 9, 2015

Post-High School Option 1

Option 1
After high school I plan to go to college. During college I plan to major in Finance and Marketing. Jobs that require a financial major include personal financial advisor, accountant, and a treasurer. I've hard a lot about financial planning, because many of my family and friends are in the financial field, but I don't know much about being a treasurer. As for the accounting field, I am learning what it is like on a day-to-day basis, because of my internship at North Marin Water District. A financial advisor makes about $75,320 per year after taxes, and the pay differs drastically in different places. For example, a financial advisor in California could make $113,240 per year (after taxes), but in South Dakota he or she may make less, around $76,860 annually. The education required to become a financial advisor is to graduate from a four-year college and get your Bachelor's Degree in finance. Next is accounting and the average yearly salary for that is $65,080 and that is pretty consistent across the board. To be an accountant, the ideal resume would include a college diploma, a Master's Degree in accounting, and a Bachelor's Degree in accounting. A treasurer makes about $92,862 a year and that seems to be consistent national wide. Degrees I would need to become a treasurer are: a Master's Degree of CPA and a Bachelor's Degree. As for a marketing major, the only job that I could see myself doing is being a marketing manager. Marketing managers make about $115,750 per year and that is similar across the globe in developed countries, because most companies really need a good manager. To be a marketing manager, the main education requirement is a Bachelor's Degree in marketing. All the jobs that I want require a Bachelor's Degree, but I may need to do some graduate work in order to meet my end goal. From my experience, accountants are really great people that are dedicated and are hard working (diligent). Marketing managers are very goal-oriented and must be young at heart to appeal to the younger generations. Financial advisors are detail-oriented, plan for everything, and must interact efficiently with co-workers and clients. Finally, treasurers are very trustworthy and should be impartial, because normally they deal with large sums of money. This assignment has really opened my eyes on how much work is required for each job I want and how salaries vary from job to job.

4 comments:

  1. Finance and Marketing sounds like a very interesting major. It looks like the associated careers have pretty substantial salaries as well which means that your hard work in college could potentially pay off big time. Just remember to keep your options open and explore all of the different careers finance and marketing has to offer. If you are interested in the treasurer profession, consider becoming a treasurer for one of your high school clubs. I am treasurer for my high school's Key Club and I am learning so much about finance. Anyway, good luck with your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you really looked into what you want to do and wrote a lot. Just an observation, but your job choices seem very detail-oriented, which I personally would not be able to do, but I'm sure you can handle it. In addition to Key Club you could also start a DECA society at your school which is a club/conferences for potential marketing students, apparently it's really fun and you get to pitch to people who work for Fortune 500 companies. Anyways, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love how detailed this blog post is, for it not only shows the numbers associated with each job but it also gives your own unique analysis of the work. I once did a project about a financial advisor, and it was quite interesting to learn how all the different finance positions are intertwined. He told me that the most surprising part of being a financial advisor is that the work is about people, not numbers. Throughout college and his internships he assumed it would be about analyzing the numbers and so forth, but quickly came to the realization that creating a bond of trust with the client, building a portfolio, and networking were far more important. Hopefully that helps your understanding of a financial advisor, incase you are aspiring to be there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete