Friday, July 3, 2015

Work Readiness Skills in my Internship

In my internship as a Legal Assistant in the DA's Office it has been necessary, in several of my responsibilities, to use the Work Readiness Skills, Literacy and Diligence. I have needed to be Literate when receiving written instructions via email on the occasions that my Supervisor is not present. These semi-frequent emails describe my duties for the work time and it is necessary for me to understand and carry out these duties. Also, several of my responsibilities require Literacy. To input data into the DARWIN system I need to be able to read the reports and pick out which sections belong where. Several of my other responsibilities such as filing require me to be able to search through pages of text for the needed information.
I have also been given a large amount of freedom in my internship. I am required to initiate scheduling and communication and choose which duties to carry out after only brief initial instructions. I act with diligence to complete the required hours and tasks, and complete them well, as I am supervised infrequently.

One Skill I need to improve is my Professionalism. I have needed to take several steps to make sure I arrive to my internship on time. As most stays I start work very early I have had to wake up early and make sure that I can someone get transportation to my workplace. As this is something I am unaccustomed to it has been difficult to do this.

4 comments:

  1. I think its great that you acknowledge your need to improve with that aspect of professionalism. I had to take the same precautions, and even ended up switching my main mode of transportation (walking to biking), and needed to always make sure this change wouldn't cause me to be late, or too early. Good luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you addressed the importance of literacy, especially as it pertains to each individual job. With every new type of literacy, your repertoire becomes larger and larger, and you become more and more desirable to potential employers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you know what you need to work on and that you know what you can do to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is great that you still work very hard even though you are given a lot of freedom. That shows that you care about the work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete