Sunday, July 5, 2015

Blog Post #2

Allison van Dorsten

Describe TWO EXAMPLES of how you used the Work Readiness Skills in your internship in a positive way, or in a way that supported success.  Describe the situation and what you learned.  Describe 1-2 examples of how your Work Readiness Skill weakness/area of growth held you back, or caused you to have to work harder.

     At Purple Door Communications, Work Readiness Skills have helped me appear more professional to my coworkers and employers, and have allowed me to be a better intern. 
     Even something as simple as what I wear to work has helped me in my internship. From my first interview, to my daily meetings with my fellow intern and boss, I have always dressed appropriately and professionally, to the point where clients who were in the office made comments. A specific example was just last week. A client that the company has was having a meeting with one of the agents, and because I am assisting her in this project, I got to listen in. The client commented on how professional, yet still approachable I looked, and was very interested in ideas I had during the course of the meeting. The feel at Purple Door is very relaxed, and sometimes the employees will show up in workout clothes, however I always make sure I take the time to look professional so people will take me more seriously, especially considering I am the youngest person at the company: I have to make sure people don't skip over me.
     Dedication has also helped me be a better intern at Purple Door. The company has a huge project, and needed as many hands on deck as possible to finish it by its deadline. Technically, interns aren't meant to work outside of the office on these projects, but I have been working diligently all week outside of my hours to help get the project done. It's due on Tuesday, so fingers crossed everything is finished in a professional and well done manner!
     One skill I have hoped to improve on in my Work Readiness is my honesty. Because I have a paying job somewhere else, sometimes hours clash between my internship and my job. It was my first week of working at Purple Door, and my new boss had just scheduled me for an 8 hour shift that same week. I was anxious about telling the women at Purple Door because I thought they would think I wasn't making them a priority, but it wasn't possible for me to be working at my job on the same day I head scheduled to go to my internship. Usually in those situations, I would find some excuse to try to get out of one of my commitments, but because I knew that honesty was a weakness of mine, I forced myself to explain to my boss at Purple Door, and she was totally fine with me working on a different day. She was actually incredibly sympathetic and said because I would be working at 5 am for my other job, I didn't need to come in for the rest of the week; that way I could be well rested for when I did come in.

   

4 comments:

  1. It can be hard to change up schedules, but it was really nice of your supervisor to let you have a week off! That probably shows how they value you as a person and not just a worker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very proud that you were honest it takes a lot and i know how you felt when you had to tell her you could not come in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very proud that you were honest it takes a lot and i know how you felt when you had to tell her you could not come in.

    ReplyDelete