Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Blog Post #2: Work Readiness

    For my internship I am working in a bookstore. Communication is key for this internship. I am constantly helping customers and must ask the owners clarifying questions when I am unsure about a customers request. On my second day, a customer came in asking about a poet. Since it was only my second day, I was still getting familiar with the sections in the store. I got the owner and she showed the customer the poetry section. This was one of my first experiences with a customer and communicating with the owner helped me become more familiar with the sections. 
    Respect and tolerance is something used a lot in the bookstore. Showing respect for others opinions is something I initially hadn't thought would be a huge aspect of working in a bookstore. From the start, I listened carefully to the owners and to the tips they gave me about running a bookstore. As they became more comfortable and familiar with me, they began to give me more responsibilities. Since I value their opinion, they value mine. I am now tasked with big jobs like setting up displays; I even got to set up a window display!
    An area of growth for me is diligence. Recently, I was shelving books in order of height. I was very focused on this task and really wanted to get it done. When I was done with two shelves, one of the owners came over to look at it. He explained that, though it looked great, I would have to go back and put the books into their separate sections. In the end I had created more work for myself, because I wasn't really thinking, as I was so focused on the task at hand.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that respect and tolerance is something important for working in a bookstore. Its good that you know what you have to work on.

    ReplyDelete